Instructions after Extraction(s)
Following these simple instructions will help you to recover quickly from dental extraction or minor oral surgery:
- After local anaesthesia, your lips, tongue and cheek will be numb, so be careful not to chew your lip or eat and drink things that may be too hot.
- There may be a little oozing. If so bite on a clean rolled handkerchief or kitchen roll for 15 minutes and sit or lie still.
- Do not rinse your mouth out for 24 hours after extraction or surgery (just spit gently if necessary) clean the rest of your teeth carefully.
- Soft, light food for 24 hours.
- No alcohol or smoking for 24 hours.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours you may use a salt water mouthwash and gently rinse. If necessary, take a painkiller, available from your pharmacist; always remember to read the label. Post-operative swelling is to be expected. Contact us if you have persistent bleeding or severe pain uncontrolled by painkillers.